Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Philip Yancey's views on the issue of Homosexuality

I recently read on a friends blog that Philip Yancey will be the keynote speaker at this years Gay Christian conference. There is alot of controversy about this since some say he is endorsing the homosexual lifestyle by speaking there and others say he is to conservative to be speaking there.

He has mentioned the topic in a few of the books I have read (see this past blog post of mine for one such reference from his book Disappointment with God) But I wanted to find out more about his beliefs rather then a few sentences here or there.

He is one of my favorite Christian writers so I decided to search to see if I could find more about what his beliefs are about the issue of Homosexuality. Well I searched and was very lucky and happy to see he has a whole page on his website talking about his beliefs on this issue where he answers several questions on his thoughts about homosexuality and the christian that people have sent him.

I think overall he has a very balanced view. He is careful not to outright say what he thinks about christians in homosexual relationships since he says he has found once its out there people wont listen to you who dont agree with you on either side.

"It would be more accurate to say that I intentionally don’t take sides on this issue. I’ve observed that as soon as a person does take sides, communication ends. I hear from gay Christians who are very disappointed that I don’t condone their point of view, and I hear from traditional Christians who are very disappointed that I don’t condemn homosexual behavior. As long as I get angry letters from both sides, I feel better.

Do I agree with gay Christians’ interpretations of the six passages in the Bible that may or may not relate to their behavior? No. They may be right, but so far I’m unconvinced. I also disapprove of sexual promiscuity, whether of the hetero- or homo- variety.

Nevertheless, I start with what I’m sure of: my attitude toward homosexuals. It seems to me that’s the clearest message we have. And the atmosphere of judgment and condemnation is so strong that I feel no need to represent a balanced viewpoint myself. So I don’t take an official position. I simply try to love the gay individuals I know, and bring a little grace and mercy to a church that puts this particular sin—if indeed it is that—in a special category. I’d rather maintain contact with “gay Christians,” who are so isolated, and also conservative Christians, who often have little understanding of the issue."

Also he says while he has been to gay churches and found really committed christians at some of them he does not think its a good idea to build a church around this one issue and be isolated from the rest of the body of Christ.

I really liked this quote
"On an issue like this, I try to start with what I’m absolutely sure of, and work outwards. I’m sure of what my own attitude should be toward gays and lesbians: I should show love and grace. As one person told me, “Christians get very angry toward other Christians who sin differently than they do.” When people ask me how I can possibly stay friends with a sinner like Mel, I respond by asking how Mel can possibly stay friends with a sinner like me. After all, Jesus had much to say about greed, hypocrisy, pride and lust—sins I struggle with—but did not mention homosexuality. Even if I conclude that all homosexual behavior is wrong, as many conservative Christians do, I’m still compelled to respond with love.

Do I believe that gay people can be committed Christians? Absolutely. I know far too many of them to doubt that. I also believe that alcoholics and prideful hypocrites can be committed Christians. In short, sinners can, and I’ve stepped back from ranking other people’s sins. It may be helpful for us to think through our relationships with divorced people. Do I feel awkward? Do I avoid talking about their current partner, or former life? Or I think of my greedy friends, or gluttonous friends. How do I handle their weaknesses?"


Here is the link to the page talking about the issue of homosexuality on his web site: http://www.philipyancey.com/q-and-a-topics/homosexuality He has alot of interesting things to say about this subject so check it out!

I am interested in hearing what his speech will be like at the Gay Christian conference later this week. Hopefully they will post a transcript or a video of it somewhere.

What do you think? Do you agree with his beliefs on this subject? Do you think its a good idea for him to speak at this conference?

6 comments:

  1. AJ,

    Happy New Year! Thanks for this post. I am a member on GCN and follow most of the issues pretty closely and had been asked why I was not attending the conference this year.

    I had several reasons, but one tends to dovetail nicely into the perspective and thoughts that Phillip himself shared ironically.

    My view of my person is that I am a man first. My design is the male gender. Everything in my life comes after that, at least in my head and heart. I have been a gay guy much longer than I have been Christian (my whole life vs. less than 5 years), but as my own words and blog point out, those two labels or attributes of my person tend to be be engaged in an ongoing struggle for dominance in my life at times.

    The most simple reason for not attending this conference is that I saw no reason to get together with a large group of believers of all types of faith and practice simply to share time and communication for the simple fact that we are all gay or at least not aligned completely with the heteronormative population and carry some label as "christian". To separate myself from what I see as the church body due to my orientation just was not compelling to me as a person, as a gay guy or a Christian. I have found the same to be true when I have visited "gay churches". I just didn't get the point. (I realize the reasons for their existence all too well but they simply were not the place for me.)

    I find it interesting and open minded that Justin and others chose him as the speaker this year. I feel he may bring a different and engaging tone to what might have been a typical conference. I do not know much of his views, as I make it a conscious practice to avoid reading any professional Christian authors, but I do find his opinions and views that you shared here open minded and full of grace.

    While I do not agree with his beliefs (whatever they may or might not be, since he really rides the fence prudently and purposefully) I do think it's a great idea that he be at that conference to lend a different tone and perspective to what I find on our GCN forum.

    Hope you are well and building the friendships and relationships that you have been seeking! Look forward to sharing this year with you and all my fellow Blog Buddies. Ciao!

    Daemon

    ReplyDelete
  2. AJ: You said, "He is careful not to outright say what he thinks about christians in homosexual relationships since he says he has found once its out there people wont listen to you who dont agree with you on either side."

    Let's apply this to the Apostle Paul in Corinth. Does the argument work? It doesn't. Paul didn't go around wholesale condemning people, but he DID have the courage to speak the truth in love and apply the Gospel to men who practice homosexuality, fornicators and adulterers (see 1 Cor. 6:1-11).

    If he were willing to call sin what it is and if he were willing to call all sinners (including himself) to repentance and faith in the Gospel that Christ had indeed died for sin and that we cannot use the grace of God as license to persist in sin...then yes, it would be fine.

    The trouble is, however, that he won't take a stand and call people to faith in Christ coupled with repentance for sin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If he were willing to call sin what it is and if he were willing to call all sinners (including himself) to repentance and faith in the Gospel that Christ had indeed died for sin and that we cannot use the grace of God as license to persist in sin...then yes, it would be fine.

    The trouble is, however, that he won't take a stand and call people to faith in Christ coupled with repentance for sin."

    Great points! I do like how he compares it to other sins though and not some super special class of sin. And also he does say that he does not agree with the verses that gay affirming churches say show that its ok to be in a homosexual relationship. So he does not really say just go for it or anything like that. I do see why he is trying to sort of build a bridge to those who feel they have been exiled. But yea your right Paul would be bold and say his view if its a sin but still show love and understanding for those who have this particular struggle. And it may hurt to hear that but if its the truth then its what one needs to hear. But said in a loving manner where the person saying it realizes they sin just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Daemon really cool to read your views on this. Thanks for sharing them! I think its cool that you too agree that its best not to build a church around this issue. Anyways always am interested in your perspective.

    Happy new years to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Philip Yancey a lot, but I also feel that he is approaching this issue wrongly. I think his approach also bothers me because it seems to undercut the approach that Paul so clearly upholds and demonstrates. One thing that Paul is very clear about is how some sins are more damaging to us and to others, and he is very clear that sexual immorality is one of the most controlling and damaging sins out there, along with gossip, slander, anger, etc. So, it's not alone, but it is part of a class of sins that ARE more destructive to a person's wholeness, self-control, and long-term self-interest. If sexual sin is especially destructive to human well-being and self-control, then morally questionable sexual behavior should be very worrisome if you love a person. So, it may not be a worse sin in terms of eternal punishment, but in terms of real world consequences, it most definitely is. I don't get the sense from him that sin itself has negative outcomes in the present, and that we are called to resist it with all of our might. That's my two cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, AJ. I also really appreciate Philip Yancey. In fact his book, Rumors of Another World, is one of the main reasons that I didn't completely abandon Christianity at one point.

    Just to address the criticisms of Dave and Tim. I understand where they're coming from. Yes, it does appear that Paul may have been less nuanced than Philip Yancey in his approach to homosexuality. However, I think the key thing to remember is the different cultural contexts. The reality is that for 50 plus years homosexuality has been the unforgivable sin in conservative Christianity. Christians are now seen as at best hypocritical on this issue and at worst as blatantly homophobic. Philip Yancey is doing his best to try to show that Christianity is not completely full of hypocrisy and hate.

    ReplyDelete